Thursday, June 11, 2009

Vanakkam Chennai

Vaango vaango......

Its been two weeks since i have set foot on the land of temples...

Chennai has been my host for my month long training schedule and the experiences have been very very interesting...

Week 1 :

The accomdation has been provided by my company and its a nice one bedroom flat fully furnished with an AC, refrigirator, microwave , TV and a washing machine..

Training started on the 1st of June...Will not bore u much with my training details because there are other interesting things to be told.

The most amazing thing about chennai is its transport system. For a guy who is comfortable with the local language buses are the best mode of transport. But imagine the fate of people like me who is well versed in broken Tamil...It is really difficult to get a bus if you do not know the local language.

That leaves me with the other mode of transport..the dreaded Chennai Auto...

Now consider this situation..My friends are waiting to meet me at Spencer Plaza

I come onto the main road looking for an auto and luckily find one..

I go to the auto driver and ask him

" anna spencers plaza "

Auto driver : ukkarungo

Me : Evlam anna

AD: 150...

Me : (wat??? it was almost like i was given a shock with a high current source)

Me: (recollecting myself)..." anna 150 rombha jasti anna"

AD: ile ile anna..traffic $&$**(#&$*$* ( cudnt understand wat he said..but could realise that he said the traffic would be more)

Me : rombha jasti anna

AD : 130 kurtinge ( smethng like tat)

Me : ile anna 120 ( as if it made a difference)

AD : ukarungo

and the expression on my face would be like i have become the second Indian to win an oscar..

And then once the auto starts u feel like u are watching a jamesbond movie...only difference is u also seem to be part of it..and then by the time u settle down in the auto u have reached your destination...

It seems a really short ride and yet have to pay him 120 bucks...

So my advice to all people planning to come to TN..learn the language...

Will continue with my experinces in Chennai in the coming blogs....

To anyone who knows a writer, never underestimate the power of your encouragement

4 comments:

  1. hey blogger... looks like someone's become a blog addict! :) nice to see that... and your experience in chennai has been written in simple yet vivid language.. :) In days to come, am sure u'll have more interesting things to write abt the place :) new places are fun and great to explore and write about... trust me, i know.. ;) :D

    great post da.. luking fwd to more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a warm welcome to a new world called Chennai - with a local touch :) nice one!
    btw. take tips frm ravi for auto in chennai,.. right cauvery? :) Begin from half the fare. (100 to 50.straight.!) always! good luck with ur future endeavours :) keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! you want me to comment????? hehehehh..

    but dude, chennai was bearable because of you... thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. hee....hee...hee....got to learn a lot man....dealing with auto guys in chennai is not so easy....the best way is to keep away from them......

    ReplyDelete